[Distutils] how to get pypi-equivalent rendering of long_description?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sat Jul 26 13:29:16 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 05:20:11PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >If you have the ReST text in a separate file, you may find restview
> >useful (http://mg.pov.lt/restview/; easy_install restview).
>
> Is there any way I can get this to use the CSS from PyPI?

Hm. PyPI uses three or four stylesheets at once, and then puts the
rendered document inside a couple of divs with classes.  You can get
some sort of an approximation with

  restview *.rst --css http://www.python.org/styles/screen-switcher-default.css

if you upgrade to restview 1.0.1 that I just released.

> My hack with rst2html does a half-decent job of using PyPI's css...

If it suits you, great.  I was unsatisfied by rst2html because that
introduces an extra step in my editing workflow:

  * save .rst file in text editor
  * run rst2html on it
  * reload page in web browser

(Plus, the default CSS wasn't shiny enough for me.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.