[Distutils] PYPI and packages for Python 2.x and 3.x

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jun 3 19:53:20 CEST 2008

At 07:43 PM 6/3/2008 +0200, Jesus Cea wrote:

>Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>|> Binary distributions have the name of the platform it was built on in
>|> the filename.
>
>I know. But I want to distribute a tar.gz source package. I can't
>distribute binaries for 20 different platforms/python versions.

My suggestion: make a setup.py that simply checks the running version
of Python, and then execfiles 'setup2.py' or 'setup3.py'
accordingly.  That should be relatively future-proof.

Personally, I'm not aware that anyone has successfully run setuptools
on Python 3 anyway, so it's likely moot.  (In truth, I'm not sure how
much *distutils* has been tested on Python 3.)