[Distutils] py2exe finding dll's

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 07:51:28 CEST 2008

Hello,

I've always assumed that py2exe uses modulefinder (or rather a
self-written version thereof) to find the modules used by the packaged
application. However, I see that py2exe manages to find things that
modulefinder doesn't find, such as DLLs. For example, when packaging
an app that uses wxPython, modulefinder finds only the relevant .py
and .pyd / .pyo files, while py2exe also finds all the wx DLLs.
What kind of additional searches does py2exe do to find all the
required infromation?

Eli