[Distutils] [issue24] Rename easy_install

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Jun 14 08:55:27 CEST 2008

--On 14. Juni 2008 08:46:02 +0200 Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:

> -On [20080614 03:18], zooko (zooko at zooko.com) wrote:
>> I said it was "too late", because there are already lots of people
>> worldwide who know the name "easy_install".  It would be costly to
>> them to change it -- they'll go looking for the new version of
>> easy_install someday and won't find it, stuff like that.

-100 on renaming easy_install to something else.

> Also, your claim of 'lots of people worldwide' is taken out of thin air. I
> doubt you have evidence in favour or against.

Honestly spoken: the world has other problems than such a pointless issue.

I introduced eggs, setuptools and zc.buildout within a bigger organization
with several courses and hands-on-training. 'easy_install' is a well-known
term right now and there is basically no need for renaming it - just for
the sake of renaming it to something like 'pyegg' which is as pointless and
generic as 'easy_install'. Leave things as they are - don't confuse people
by renaming things - it's not worth the effort.

Andreas