[Distutils] [issue24] Rename easy_install

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Jun 14 20:17:28 CEST 2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20080614 03:18], zooko (zooko at zooko.com) wrote:
>> I said it was "too late", because there are already lots of people
>> worldwide who know the name "easy_install".  It would be costly to
>> them to change it -- they'll go looking for the new version of
>> easy_install someday and won't find it, stuff like that.
> Nothing proper release notes and the likes cannot fix. Heck, you could
> provide a symlink from easy_install to the new pyegg --or whatever the name
> might be-- for a few releases and if it is easy_install that's being
> invoked, you act accordingly. Or even a placeholder script invoking the
> necessary things.
> Also, your claim of 'lots of people worldwide' is taken out of thin air. I
> doubt you have evidence in favour or against.

I'm quite confident that there are hundreds-to-thousands of users to
date, plus lots of third-party docs which describe using 'easy_install'
to get packages or applications installed.

- -1 to the rename.  I don't think 'easy_install' is ever a candidate for
/usr/bin on a system under package management, given that it breaks the
expectations of packagers that they control the horizontal and vertical
for software installation.

- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)