[Distutils] What is needed by an uninstall command to be useful ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jun 16 17:33:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

    An uninstall command is a long-time wanted feature of distutils. I
was wondering why it was not implemented: what does it need to do to be
useful ? AFAIK, make uninstall in autotools simply removes currently
installed files, with currently refering to the current configured value
of prefix and all. Isn't this enough  (I am interested in a 'pure'
distutils command, not a setuptools one) ? What would be the minimum
semantics needed for an uninstall command ?

    cheers,

    David