[Distutils] Easy Install - download an egg

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 4 23:32:50 CET 2008

At 09:05 PM 3/4/2008 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>This is a dumb question, but I can't find the answer in the
>easy_install documentation (I have to say, I always find that page
>hard to follow...)
>
>How do I use easy_install to just locate and download an egg (not install it)?
>
>Suppose I have a directory "eggs" and I want to grab a batch of eggs
>from PyPI or wherever. I can simply go to the appropriate download
>pages with my web browser, and download the files, but surely I can
>get easy_install to grab the files for me?

easy_install -zmaxd targetdir ...

The -x is to --exclude-scripts, and -d sets the
--install-directory.  -m means multi-version, which keeps it from
checking for sys.path compatibility and avoids creating an
easy-install.pth.  -z means not to unzip the files, and -a means
--always-copy, so even if the requested egg is already on sys.path,
it'll be copied to targetdir.