[Distutils] wanted: a catalog of setuptools plugins

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:30:47 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 3:20 PM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Fred Drake wrote:
>
> > On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:41 AM, zooko wrote:
> >> And this morning I just noticed the "keywords" field in the
> >> metadata.  Perhaps the setuptools docs could encourage authors of
> >> setuptools plugins to put the keyword "plugin" into their keywords?
> >
> > Another option, for which there's precedent, is to define a
> > classifier for the setuptools framework, similar to the classifiers
> > used for the various web frameworks.
>
> Okay, let's call it "Frameworks :: Setuptools Plugin".
>
> I just tried to add that classifier to my "darcsver" plugin, but got
> this result from pypi:
>
> Submitting dist/darcsver-1.0.3.tar.gz to http://www.python.org/pypi
> Upload failed (500): There's been a problem with your request
> ---
>

> Rerunning "./setup.py register" tells me this:
>
> Using PyPI login from /Users/wonwinmcbrootles/.pypirc
> Server response (400): Invalid classifier "Framework :: Setuptools
> Plugin"

Yes the classifier has to be in the TROVE list maintained at Pypi
(see http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=list_classifiers)

It will have to be added for your package to be registerable.
You may request for this inclusion on catalog-sig ML

In the meantime, we have discussed lately on the fact that Pypi should
not return an error when a classifier does not exist but a warning
(see http://wiki.python.org/moin/EnhancedPyPI)

I didn't find the time yet to submit and propose a patch for this, but it is

on my pile.

Tarek