[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Mar 17 16:10:36 CET 2008

At 09:45 AM 3/17/2008 -0500, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > Well, it might be replaced by a protracted discussion of how the
> > module should work and what its API should be, but perhaps that would
> > be a better one to have.  :)
>
>Indeed, that's likely to happen :-)
>
> > So, the original proposal (from the previous thread about this) was
> > that the module be named easy_install, and that it simply downloads
> > setuptools and delegates to the "real" easy_install.  That way,
> > people can simply use "python -m easy_install ...", without worrying
> > about whether setuptools has been installed yet.
>
>I thought the original proposal was to install a *binary* easy_install
>that takes that function.

What do you mean by "binary"?  I thought we were talking about a
module.  Do you mean a script to be installed alongside Python itself
in e.g. /usr/bin?

In the original discussion, it was a module to be added alongside
pkg_resources, which would use pkg_resources to find and/or install
setuptools.  I also personally like the use of -m instead of a script
because it makes it quite clear that this is a Python-specific
installation tool, and *which* version of Python, as well, without
having to have easy_install-2.5, easy_install-2.6, etc.

> > IIRC, other package management tools such as zc.buildout and
> > workingenv can then be installed using easy_install.
> >
> > Any objections?  Should I revise the PEP?
>
>I'm fine with the module, but would really like to see a command
>line utility in addition.
>
>This, of course, would raise the issue who "owns" the easy_install
>script name; ideally, the script would not have to be overwritten
>when setuptools gets installed.

It won't have to.  The module will attempt to import the
setuptools-supplied version of easy_install, and delegate to it if
possible, before trying to do any download.