[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Mar 17 17:12:45 CET 2008

At 10:53 AM 3/17/2008 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>I don't think this should play games with scripts being overridden or
>whatever. If a bootstrap script is to be installed it should have a
>separate name. I'm not sure what the advantage is of a bootstrap
>script over "python -m bootstrap_module ..." though.

And -m also makes explicit:

1. that it's a Python-specific tool
2. which Python version it will apply to

>The PEP suggests that other package managers also benefit. How do they
>benefit if the bootstrap script installs setuptools?

Because those other package managers depend, in fact, on setuptools,
or at least pkg_resources...  which was why the original proposal was
to just include pkg_resources in the first place.  :)

>I'd also like to avoid the specific name "easy_install" for any of
>this. That's a "brand name" (and a misleading one if you ask me, but
>that's politics again :-).

Ok, so if someone will propose a name and API for the thing, I'll
implement it.  (Assuming the proposed API is sane and reasonably
implementable, of course.)