[Distutils] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Mar 17 17:55:17 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It should be able to download a Python-only module or package and
> install it into site-packages (or perhaps elsewhere if so directed via
> another optional command line flag). It should support zip, tar and
> tar.gz/tgz files (and perhaps tar.bz2). It should simply unpack the
> zip/tar file using the zip or tar modules, and extract the
> package/module into site-packages in such a way that it can be
> imported directly without messing with sys.path. It should not mess
> with .pth files, setup.py scripts, or eggs.

Do you mean "existing eggs" or does that include the (potential .egg) package
that is being installed? If I understood correctly, this bootstrap module
currently supports installing eggs (although I'm not sure how they are
supposed to work without the current way of keeping a .pth file).

Is it *wanted* that eggs are being supported by core Python?

Stefan