[Distutils] [Python-Dev] Capsule Summary of Some Packaging/Deployment Technology Concerns

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Mar 18 20:24:46 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:37:30PM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 05:10 PM 3/17/2008 -0500, Jeff Rush wrote:
> >     People also want a greater variety of file_finders to be included with
> >     setuptools.  Instead of just CVS and SVN, they want it to comprehend
> >     Mercurial, Bazaar, Git and so forth.
>
> Did you point them to the Cheeseshop?  There are plugins already
> available for all the systems you mentioned, plus Darcs and
> Monotone.  If you mean "included" as in "bundled", this doesn't make
> a whole lot of sense to me.

It does to me.  Think "batteries included".

Running 'setup.py sdist/bdist_foo' should not silently produce an
incorrect package with some files missing just because the person
running it did not have some additional plugin installed.

> I'd think that if you're using
> setuptools as a developer (the only reason you need the file finders,
> since source distributions include a prebuilt manifest), you'd not
> have a problem saying "easy_install setuptools-git" or adding a
> "setup_requires='setuptools-git'" line to your setup.py.  (Although
> the latter would only be needed for *development*, not deployment.)

setup_requires looks like a solution, but it requires extra attention
from the developers who write the setup.py.  Writing a setup.py is
already quite complicated -- I usually end up copying an existing one
and modifying it.

Marius Gedminas
--
Most security experts REALLY believe in firewalls. The expect that, when they
die, arrive at the great firewall in the sky where Saint Peter is running a