[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 20 02:05:28 CET 2008

> I don't understand PyPI all that well; it seems poor design that the
> browsing via keywords is emphasized but there is no easy way to
> *search* for a keyword (the list of all packages is not emphasized
> enough on the main page -- it occurs in the side bar but not in the
> main text).

I don't understand. What is "browsing via keywords" and how is that
emphasized? (one I know that, I can look into ways for searching
for keywords)

> I assume there's a programmatic API (XML-RPC?) but I
> haven't found it yet.

The recommended "programmatic" API is

http://pypi.python.org/simple/

Not sure what you were trying to achieve programmatically;
"typically" people know what they want to install (e.g.
"threadedcomments"), and then the tool goes directly to

http://pypi.python.org/simple/threadedcomments/

Regards,
Martin