[Distutils] Request for Input re Packaging

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 20 04:26:16 CET 2008

Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> writes:

> In researching the state of packaging, I've been reading the
> archives and all the bug reports filed against distutils.
>
> I'd like though to get some examples of particularly troublesome
> uses of setup.py, to pull together and propose some changes to make
> their use case a bit easier. So far such cases I've been made aware
> of are Twisted, numpy and SciPy. If you know of a tough case where
> the developer had to jump through hoops to make it work, please
> point me to it.
>
> I'd also like to get suggestions of improvements to PyPI, which I've
> not seen much discussion about.

I know that those in Debian who are involved with packaging Python
modules and applications often complain about the state of distutils
and setuptools. I don't know what the specific complaints are, though.

I'll forward this request to the debian-python list in an attempt to
rouse them for feedback.

--
 \            "Why was I with her? She reminds me of you. In fact, she |
  `\             reminds me more of you than you do!"  -- Groucho Marx |