[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:56:15 CET 2008

On 20/03/2008, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>  > On 20/03/2008, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
>  > 1. No integration with the system packager (Windows, in my case). If I
>  > do easy_install nose, then nose does not show up in add/remove
>  > programs. That significantly affects the way I manage my PC.
>

> Part of this stems from stretching of the original mission of setuptools, to
>  install modules for Python, into a general-purpose application installation
>  tool.  The buildout tool is more suited for application installation, although
>  not ideal yet.
>
>  In your scenario, what happens when one egg pulls in another and another,
>  until you have a hundred entries in your add/remove menu?  And you don't
>  understand the inter-relationship of those so you cannot do a clean uninstall?

I don't let it. As I've said elsewhere, I prefer to manage
dependencies myself, manually.

Anything with that many dependencies shouldn't be using the system
Python, in my view. It should be packaged as a standalone application
(py2exe style) and as such have a single add/remove entry (and no
effect on the system Python).

>  Similarly, or what do you want to appear in that add/remove menu when you are
>  using independent sandboxes with various applications in them, some of which
>  are accessible only to specific users who are not admins on that box?

Independent sandboxes isn't a concept I can relate to under Windows.
That doesn't mean it's not possible (I don't know if it is) I just
don't have any useful comment to make, beyond saying that I personally
don't care what happens in that situation.

Paul.