[Distutils] Request for Input re Packaging

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Mar 20 23:06:19 CET 2008

Jeff Rush wrote:
> 2. If we moved PyPI to serve exclusively over https, for integrity
>     reasons, would this have a major negative impact?

Given that urllib2 doesn't support https through a proxy, it would
probably cause a problem for easy_install, etc.  :-)

We had to create a custom urllib2 Handler for a couple of our
applications.   I just looked to see if I should pursue re-working our
solution as a patch and saw that Christopher Li has already posted a
patch.  http://bugs.python.org/issue1424152   And there is also this
outstanding ticket: http://bugs.python.org/issue1448934.

-- Dave