[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:33:31 CET 2008

On 21/03/2008, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> However, this Windows user, and I expect most, do NOT expect add-ons
>  (things under the /Pythonx.y tree) to show up in the add/remove list.

That's an interesting counterpoint to my comments. I presume from this
that you dislike (and/or never use) bdist_msi and bdist_wininst
precisely because they do add such items to the add/remove programs
list?

My argument is essentially that bdist_wininst set a de facto standard
for this. Then, bdist_msi followed it. Now setuptools is trying to
change that standard by ignoring it, rather than by discussion of the
pros and cons.

Personally, I like the current approach, but that's less relevant.

>  The standard (and to me, preferable)  way of dealing with such things is to
>  have an 'installation manager' that can reinstall as well as delete and
>  that has a check box for various things to delete.  This is what Python
>  needs.

I'd dispute strongly that this is a "standard". It may be preferable,
but I'm not sure where you see evidence of it being a standard.

Could I also point out that *if* such a standard is set up for Python,
bdist_wininst and bdist_msi should be modified to follow it.
Otherwise, it's not a standard, more of  competing approach.

As you can see, my main concern is for consistency :-)

Paul.