[Distutils] [Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Mar 25 05:15:35 CET 2008

> (Note:  I'm aware that people believe it to be necessary to munge the
> Windows registry when installing Python packages;  I just don't agree
> with the practice, and don't think we should distort Python's process
> to coddle it).

Whoever thinks it necessary is misguided.  Installing a package doesn't
require munging the registry and none of the popular installation techniques
do.  Installing Python itself does, and some packages have special
requirements (eg, pywin32 registering COM objects), but in general, Python
packages on Windows can ignore the registry.

Mark