[Distutils] metadata/versions

Alexander Michael lxander.m at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 15:54:59 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Alexander Michael wrote:
>  > I am far from the authority on these topics, but my understanding as a
>  > user is that PEPs 241,314,345
>
>  So PEP 345 is implemented in Python 2.5?

Yes.

>  > attempt to address these issues but are
>  > not used in practice.
>
>  How come? Does distutils in 2.5 or setuptools not generate the required
>  PKG-INFO?

IIUC, as far as distutils goes, the metadata shows-up in the sdist,
but not in site-packages, so it isn't really useful for introspecting
an installation. The ability to specify requirements is virtually
undocumented and isn't used in practice to my knowledge. Setuptools
makes both pieces of information introspectable for packages it
installs (but provides its own way of specifying requirements).