[Distutils] Distutils & configparser rename

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu May 15 22:33:53 CEST 2008

Python 2.6 renames the ConfigParser module to be configparser.

Distutils imports ConfigParser in various places.  I just made a
commit updating the import in one places, and then noticed that part
of commit r63248, which made the same change, was reverted in order to
preserve backward-compatibility.  Instead, the default path will
include lib-old again to keep the old module name available.

I suggest dropping that goal, though.  We've preserved compatibility
but I'm not aware that anyone uses the Python 2.x Distutils with
earlier versions of Python.  In particular:

* There's no standalone distutils package on PyPI, nor can I find
  such a package with a general web search.  Am I missing it?

* I do not see users advising other users to use a later version of
  Distutils to fix their problems.

Is anyone actually benefiting from the effort of maintaining backward
compatibility?

--amk