[Distutils] Using setuptools

Val Schmidt vschmidt at ccom.unh.edu
Tue Nov 25 13:56:39 CET 2008

Thanks!

I also noticed that my SOURCES.txt file contains the contents of
mymodulepy.egg-info (which got added to my subversion repository when
I initially added the project directory). I suspect I don't want this
either.

So does it seem like a reasonable working method to develop in one's
subversion sandbox, check everything in, then checkout a copy of the
project somewhere else to build distributions? This might help to make
sure one doesn't inadvertently get the extra files and directories
created during the build process into subversion and inadvertently in
your distribution package.

-Val

On Nov 24, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 11:55 AM 11/24/2008 -0500, Val Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1) When running 'setup.py bdist_egg' the subdirectories build/ and
>> dists/ are created. Do people typically add and mange these
>> directories and their contents within subversion as well? Or do you
>> typically have a separate place, outside of your subversion sandbox
>> for building distributions?
>
> It's usually a good idea to exclude those subdirectories using the
> svn:ignore property.
>

>> 2) I'm using epydoc to generate documentation for my module. Is it
>> appropriate to include the resulting html/ directory and it's
>> contents
>> in the egg in some way and if so, how?
>
> No; that should usually be only included in your source
> distribution, unless the package itself (or something it plugs into)
> will use the documentation at runtime.  (For example, a Zope
> "product" or a Trac plugin that need to include HTML help to be
> displayed when using the product or plugin.)

Val Schmidt
CCOM/JHC
University of New Hampshire
Chase Ocean Engineering Lab