[Distutils] setuptools/buildout: why only one index server configurable

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Nov 26 10:09:38 CET 2008

On 26.11.2008 9:54 Uhr, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Andreas Jung<lists at zopyx.com>  wrote:

>>> Yes it is.  That is exactly where setuptools needs to evolve.
>>>
>>> For the record: I have asked for that a few months ago, and Jim said
>>> he wanted to  stick with setuptools.
>>>
>>> So proposed a patch in setuptools to be able to merge several indexes,
>>> (see http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue32)
>>>
>>> But it hasn't been reviewed yet.
>> I think this is a very helpful patch. We would appreciate it if the patch
>> could make it into the next setuptools release asap.
>
> I made an assumption to use -i but I don't know if it would be better
> to have a new argument for it.
> Besides, this index merging thing would be helpful for merging
> *different* sources

Merging is exactly our problem right now (I can get around with
generating index pages manually right now...works but not really nice).

Not sure where the problem is with the -i parameter. Either we can allow
serveral -i options or just use something like:

  -i http://pypi.zopyx.com,http://pypi.foo.com

> for mirrors, I think we need something specific : a fail-over
> mechanism over a list of mirrors for
> a given pypi-like server, with a "nearest mirror picked" feature (see
> my blob + pep 374 on python wiki)

Mirror selection is a different subject and not the problem here.

Andreas