[Distutils] Are egg files needed when building/installing via --root?

Brian Cameron Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM
Sat Nov 29 06:50:02 CET 2008

Phillip:

Thank you and Nathan for the answers.  That is very helpful information
to me.  I have been reading further and took a look at the
documentation, and notice egg files and metadata are described here:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#adding-new-egg-info-files
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#defining-additional-metadata

However, I didn't find any references to the situation I am describing,
about how these files are useful to install even when not shipping the
module as eggs.  If such documentation exists, I am sure that would help
me further understand how this works.  Or might the documentation
benefit from discussing this a bit more?  The documentation does not
provide any real examples of what constitutes metadata, or why being
able to store metadata is generally useful.

Thanks again,

Brian