[Distutils] Help with easy_install

Martin Manns mmanns at gmx.net
Sun Nov 30 23:03:30 CET 2008

Hi,

I am developing a small pet project that I call pyspread (A small spreadsheet
that accepts Python in cells, further info at: http://pyspread.sf.net).

Now some users complained that it does not install correctly with easy_install
even though distutils work. I tried for some time fixing it, but I was not too
successful.

The main problem is that the .pth file and the subdirectory are not created on
installation, which works all right with python setup.py install.

First, I thought that my easy_install installation is broken (I am using Debian
testing with the version in the apt repository). However, after I read a few
posts in this list, I believe that I stumbled into some gotchas that are
definitively not in the main download page manual.

Any idea how I could get the directories set up with easy install?
Is this in a FAQ that I am unaware of?

My setup.py code is posted below.
You can find the bug report at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2036736&group_id=224598&atid=1062244

Thanks in advance

Regards

Martin

--- setup.py ---
#!/usr/bin/env python

from distutils.core import setup
from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib

setup(name='pyspread',
      version='0.0.10a',
      description='A spreadsheet that accepts a pure python expression in each
cell.',
      license='GPL v3 :: GNU General Public License',
      classifiers=[ 'Development Status :: 3 - Alpha',
                    'Intended Audience :: End Users/Desktop',
      ],
      author='Martin Manns',
      author_email='mmanns at gmx.net',
      url='http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyspread/',
      requires=['numpy (>=1.1)', 'wx (>=2.7)'],
      scripts=['pyspread/pyspread.py'],
      packages=['pyspread'],
      package_dir={'pyspread': 'pyspread'},
      package_data={'pyspread': ['icons/*.png', 'icons/actions/*.png', \
                         'examples/*', \
                         'doc/manual.html', 'README', 'COPYING']},
)

import distutils.sysconfig
try:
    pthfile = open(get_python_lib() + "/pyspread.pth", 'w')
    pthfile.write("pyspread")
    pthfile.close()
except IOError:
    print 'Creation of ' + distutils.sysconfig.get_python_lib() + ' pyspread.pth
failed.'