[Distutils] Msgfmt in distutils?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 21:55:54 CEST 2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20081001 20:26], Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) wrote:
>> That's good to know.  One of our Turbogears applications uses Babel and
>> it definitely doesn't install to the right place.  I'd love to fix it to
>> take advantage of Babel' properly.  Would you be kind enough to point me
>> documentation on how to get Babel to install locale files?
>
> Leaving aside the extractors for now, as far as I know either adding Babel
> to the requires or adding an import babel should suffice.
>
> You should get, when you do python setup.py --help-commands, a few options
> for catalog management.
>
> A simple compile_catalog (perhaps with the force flag) should create .mo
> files, then follow up with a normal build and install. Currently the locale
> catalog files are packaged inside the eggs.

Ah. I think you missed this from the original poster::

>and at install time (install them into
> PREFIX/share/locales/LC_MESSAGES/, or wherever the distribution is
configured to
> put them).

As for what I'm seeing... It doesn't look like my locales are being
installed at all if I just rely on babel.  Perhaps you are putting the
mo files into package data normally and then the standard install_data
is putting it in the egg?  This definitely isn't what we want and is why
I'm so gung-ho about moving over to paver.

> Feature requests and all that all welcome at the Babel site. :)

I suppose it depends on whether installation of .mo files is part of
Babel's goal.  Since I only saw information about extracting messages,
creating, building, and maintaining catalogs I didn't know if that was
part of what babel was aiming for.

Thanks!
-Toshio