[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Oct 2 01:16:17 CEST 2008

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 01 octobre 2008 à 14:39 -0400, Phillip J. Eby a écrit :
>
>> To be clear, I mean here that a "file" (as opposed to a resource) is
>> something that the user is expected to be able to read or copy, or
>> modify.  (Whereas a resource is something that is entirely internal
>> to a library, and metadata is information *about* the library itself.)
>>

> It’s not as simple as that. Python is not the only thing out there, and
> there are many times where your resources need to be shipped in existing
> formats, in files that land at specific places. For example icons go
> in /usr/share/icons, locale files in .mo format in /usr/share/locale,
> etc.

Perhaps I'm putting words into PJE's mouth but it seems to me that if
distributions want to put things in widely differing places from where
the developer had them (in a single tree), then we're going to need a
Python standard library API (implemented per platform/OS that defines
those places!) for the code to find these resources/files.   Certainly
the expectation shouldn't be on developers to have to handle all the
possible different locations OSes are going to put things?

-- Dave