[Distutils] AMP, anyone? (Re: "just use debian")

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Oct 3 04:04:27 CEST 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:

> when you change the
> soname of a library, it has 0 impact on the source code of the software
> which links against it. That's not true in python.

In the Eiffel world, there's a thing called an ACE, which stands
for Assembly of Classes in Eiffel. It's a way of specifying
a mapping between class names used internally in the code
and where to get them from in the environment.

I think Python could do with something similar for managing
version issues. Perhaps we could study how ACEs work and see
if we can use any ideas from there.

We could call it an AMP -- Assembly of Modules in Python.

--
Greg