[Distutils] [zc.buildout] running in safe mode

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 15:40:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> In a system in which most data is managed automatically, asking the user
> before doing anything that might remove or overwrite data is, in my
> experience, counterproductive.  It's like a security system that constantly
> asks for permission do do things, training users to hit an "OK" button very
> quickly.
>
> In a previous version of buildout, it worked the way you and Tarek suggest.
>  It asked users before performing any action that caused a part to be
> uninstalled.  This was extremely annoying.  I finally just started piping
> the output of the yes command into it.
>
> Again, I can live with people adding an option that causes buildout to
> prompt before removing files or directories (or maybe just uninstalling
> parts that would cause it to remove files or directories). I know that I
> wouldn't use the option myself.

Ok.

To reduce the noise, I think we should work with a list of folders
or files we would like to 'protect', with a glob-style pattern, relative
to the buildout folder, or absolute.

For instance if I work with a zope application I would probably do
something like that:

[buildout]
prompt-before-delete =
             var