[Distutils] Pre-pre-PEP: Requirements for the Python BUILDS Specification

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Oct 7 14:58:40 CEST 2008

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:12:03 +0100, Floris Bruynooghe <floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:01:28AM -0400, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:57:56 +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss at debian.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Case 2: twisted. Plugins, consisting of a few .py files, are shipped in
>>> a plugins/ subdirectory, and its content is dynamically added to
>>> sys.path after some sanity checks (which fail when you add namespace
>>> packages). The reason is to allow plugins for several incompatible
>>> Twisted versions to be installed in the *same* directory. When there are
>>> solutions as simple as versioning the plugin directory, I can’t
>>> understand how people can think of (and implement) such broken
>>> solutions.
>>
>> The facts you have presented above are not correct.
>
>It would be helpful if you could correct them in that case.

I don't think the details of the plugin system are relevant to the topic
under discussion here.  The installation requirements are not unusual for
the most part - that a directory full of .py files be copied to the install
location, just as any package would be.  The one unusual thing is that
non-Twisted package X might want to copy files into twisted/plugins/ (if it
is providing plugins).

For details, see the Twisted plugin documentation:

  http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/plugin.html

Or this discussion in the Debian issue tracker:

I would be happy to answer any questions not addressed in the documentation,
but perhaps off-list if they are not directly relevant to distribution
topics.

Jean-Paul