[Distutils] Availability of setuptools installer for python2.6?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 7 19:47:24 CEST 2008

At 09:58 AM 10/7/2008 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
>2008/10/7 Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> >> This is a really frustrating aspect of setuptools, that pure-Python
> >> packages produce version-specific installers.
> >
> > Actually, that's not setuptools' fault in this case; I
> specifically make the
> > .exe's version-specific because they have different contents.  Different
> > versions of Python include different distutils commands, and setuptools
> > needs to install different things.  So even though it's "pure" Python (ha!)
> > it is still Python-version specific.
>
>Not sure I follow this. I see this in bdist_wininst installers, so
>distutils commands shouldn't be relevant (?)

I'm saying that setuptools' own bdist_wininst installer is version
specific because setuptools itself includes different code (and
different script names, e.g. "easy_install-2.x") depending on the
Python version.  So, even though setuptools is "pure Python", its
bdist_wininst files are version-specific.

This does not have anything to do with packages that simply *use*
setuptools; if you make a bdist_wininst of some non-setuptools
package, it will not be version specific unless you include C code.