[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] distribute D.C. sprint tasks

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 20:32:25 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> could you explain why is that a problem ?
>
> It produces significant load on the master. If you look at the web
> stats, e.g for September:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/webstats/usage_200809.html
>
> you see that there had been 5671455 hits, or 41%, of accesses through
> wget.
>
> The problem with wget mirroring is that it needs to read *many*
> pages, to find out the *few* changes.

Sure,

> FWIW, it's also the case that 4940769 hits originate from
> France. Could it be that you are alone responsible for 40% of
> the traffic on PyPI?

Yes, I am the only Python developer in France. That's me.

Just kidding :)

France has a lot of python/plone developers that triggers buildouts every day,
so I am pretty sure the mirrors don't make the whole traffic in PyPI.

we could probably do things better though. Here's my proposal:

+ see if we can locate the mirrors, so for instance, if i register a
"Paris mirror" people will eventually
   go there because it is the nearest location for them. (à la CPAN)

+ create a new user agent for mirroring tools

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org