[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] distribute D.C. sprint tasks

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 06:47:34 CEST 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Right, please take a look at my last version http://wiki.python.org/moin/PEP_374
>> it tries to go in that direction
>
> For such an infrastructure (which apparently intends to mirror the files
> as well), I insist that a propagation of download counters is made
> mandatory. The only mirrors that can be excused from that are private
> ones.

This may not apply to pypi as the sites you get to mirror you may be
different but Linux distributions have found that it is easier to get
mirrors if the mirror admins can run as little custom stuff as possible.
 ie: If they can retrieve content from the master mirror via a simple
rsync cron job that they write they are happiest.  We have found other
ways to generate statistics regarding download in these cases (for
instance, based upon how many calls to retrieve the mirrorlist or how
many calls for specific packages via the mirror redirector).

As I say, whether this is a problem for you will depend on the
willingness of the sites that are mirroring you to run your scripts with
code that you've written rather than themselves.

-Toshio