[Distutils] [Setuptools] VCS agnostic

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Sep 7 19:22:31 CEST 2008

At 06:58 PM 9/7/2008 +0200, Sebastien Douche wrote:
>Hi,
>I wonder about the way of making setuptools independent of VCS. After
>a fast reading, 2 functions engage the attention :
>- prune_file_list (egg_info.py)
>- copytree (install_egg_info.py)
>
>These functions manipulate VCS directories (RCS, CVS, .svn). Instead
>of listing explicitly each VCS directory, I propose to replace by all
>hidden directories (.*). Recents VCS uses them (.git, .svn, .bzr, .hg
>...).
>
>Other ideas ?

Plugins.  (This would also be the case for the revision-number
finding code.)  We could just add a "setuptools.vcs_filters" entry
point group wherein filter functions could be registered.  Most VCS
support is through plugins anyhow, so it's no big deal for them to
define a function and add another entry point.