[Distutils] Getting source from __file__ in egg?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Sep 11 18:03:29 CEST 2008

Skip's issue isn't going to be resolved by avoiding zipfiles in the
easy_install case.  Really, none of the other issues you've mentioned
in that ticket will be either.  Zipfiles are a useful installation
target for drop-and-go plugin installation, and they're useful for
py2exe, py2app, etc.  A library that has problems being deployed in a
zipfile will have problems in other places besides easy_install.  The
fix isn't to stop using zipfiles, it's to fix the places in Python
(and 3rd-party tools) where zipfile support isn't
finished.  easy_install simply forces the errors to show up
earlier... and for the community as a whole, that's a *good* thing.

(Oh, and while we're suggesting things, zooko, I'd suggest you take a
look at the two setuptools bugs in "testing" status that are assigned
to you; they're holding up the 0.6c9 release.)