[Distutils] Getting source from __file__ in egg?

Python python at venix.com
Thu Sep 11 19:06:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 12:03 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> A library that has problems being deployed in a
> zipfile will have problems in other places besides easy_install.

My problems with libraries in zipfiles have generally revolved around
limited user accounts that cannot handle the unzip.  A normal python
installation provides files than can be used directly.  So I've
configured the distutils configuration file to always unzip.

I've found it easier for the systems I administer to force all
installations to be unzipped rather than trying to find those accounts
that will have problems with zipped libraries.  These errors can be
pretty mysterious to a sysadmin who is not fluent in Python.  It can
also be pretty embarrassing when the test system works and the live
system fails because of the change in user account.

If there is a better/smarter approach for installing zipped libraries
I'd be happy to use it.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp