[Distutils] Buildout to run setup.py

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Sep 11 23:39:14 CEST 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Yves Moisan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new at buildout and I was wondering if it was possible to
> emulate a
> system command like "python setup.py install" in buildout.  Use Case :
>
> [buildout]
> parts =
>  MapFishTrunk
>

> [MapFishTrunk]
> recipe = infrae.subversion
> urls =
>  http://www.mapfish.org/svn/mapfish/trunk/MapFish MapFish
> interpreter = Scripts\python
>
> There is a setup.py file a couple of levels down the directory that I
> would like to execute to build the eggs (and dependencies) and to
> store
> the resulting eggs in a location accessible to Scripts\python (which
> was
> generated using virtualenv).  I can run Scripts/python setup.py
> install
> but I wonder if that can be done within buildout.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.

Buildout is capable of building develop eggs from source directories.
I don't think you can build regular eggs from source directories.  You
also want to run the setup with certain distributions in the path.
There isn't support for doing that presently, although folks would
find it useful.   It would be possible to write a recipe that did both
of these things. You would then define a part for the egg you wanted
to install, where that part would use the recipe. You'd want to list
that part before other parts that need that egg.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation