[Distutils] Buildout to run setup.py

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Fri Sep 12 14:28:18 CEST 2008

> I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.
>
> Buildout is capable of building develop eggs from source directories.
> I don't think you can build regular eggs from source directories.  You
> also want to run the setup with certain distributions in the path.
> There isn't support for doing that presently, although folks would
> find it useful.

The infrae recipe allows one do an svn co in parts/arbitrary_folder.
Down in the hierarchy of checked out folders, there is a setup.py file.
What I wanted to do is create a Python sandbox where to deploy those yet
to be developed eggs.  What I succeeded in doing now is install a
virtualenv sandbox and build the eggs from the svn co using the sandbox
Python.  When I found out about the Infrae recipe I figured there should
be a way to build the eggs from the source.

> It would be possible to write a recipe that did both
> of these things. You would then define a part for the egg you wanted
> to install, where that part would use the recipe. You'd want to list
> that part before other parts that need that egg.
> Jim

I'll go hunt for a recipes tutorial :-)  Thanx for your time.

Yves Moisan