[Distutils] Buildout to run setup.py

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 14:33:42 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Yves Moisan <yves.moisan at boreal-is.com>wrote:

> > I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.
> >
> > Buildout is capable of building develop eggs from source directories.
> > I don't think you can build regular eggs from source directories.  You
> > also want to run the setup with certain distributions in the path.
> > There isn't support for doing that presently, although folks would
> > find it useful.
>
> The infrae recipe allows one do an svn co in parts/arbitrary_folder.
> Down in the hierarchy of checked out folders, there is a setup.py file.
> What I wanted to do is create a Python sandbox where to deploy those yet
> to be developed eggs.  What I succeeded in doing now is install a
> virtualenv sandbox and build the eggs from the svn co using the sandbox
> Python.  When I found out about the Infrae recipe I figured there should
> be a way to build the eggs from the source.

Other options are:

- to set up a svn bundle with those svn links and add some develop
directives in the buildout that point to them

or

- to ask the package team to deal with a dev tag so you can use "==dev" in
your buildout (like setutpools does for instance)

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org
Blog EN | http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/