[Distutils] bdist_egg doesn't call build?

chris cdcasey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 19:27:49 CEST 2008

I created a custom build command, and was hoping it would be called
when I ran bdist_egg. However, what appears to happen is that
bdist_egg runs all of build's subcommands directly, and my custom
build command never runs. Is this what's supposed to happen? If so,
how do I make it call my custom build command short of subclassing
bdist_egg and using self.run_command('build')?

On a side note, would it be better for bdist_egg (and other commands
that do builds) to call build directly, or are there other
considerations? It seems like it would make extending easier...

Thanks,
-Chris