[Distutils] [pyconuk] "just use debian"

Stephen Pascoe stephen.pascoe at lirico.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 12:59:18 CEST 2008

I'm interested in hearing what you find so annoying about the egg format
because for me it's the one part of the setuptools system that I would
keep.

If I had my way we'd separate out eggs from distutils/setuptools and all the
automagical package installation of easy_install and focus on making eggs
work as plugins.  Eggs are a best effort attempt to make a jar-like system
for Python and in many cases they work well (c.f. Trac plugins).  Sure,
there are some workarounds needed for C-extensions and packages that access
__file__, etc. but these problems seem more surmountable than the deeply
ingrained problems with distutils.

Cheers,
Stephen.