[Distutils] [pyconuk] "just use debian"

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 13:53:44 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:59 +0100, Stephen Pascoe wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing what you find so annoying about the egg
> format because for me it's the one part of the setuptools system that
> I would keep.
>
> If I had my way we'd separate out eggs from distutils/setuptools and
> all the automagical package installation of easy_install and focus on
> making eggs work as plugins.  Eggs are a best effort attempt to make a
> jar-like system for Python and in many cases they work well (c.f. Trac
> plugins).  Sure, there are some workarounds needed for C-extensions
> and packages that access __file__, etc. but these problems seem more
> surmountable than the deeply ingrained problems with distutils.

Remember though that jars carry no dependency information, hence Maven,
Ivy, OSGi, JSR277, etc.  Avoiding the Python equivalent of Jar Hell
surely has to be a prime directive.

I guess the question in my mind is if the Ruby community have Ruby Gems,
what is the Python equivalent, and why doesn't it work?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                       t: +44 20 7585 2200