[Distutils] Setup tools causes problems with orca finding its python packages

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Sep 23 16:32:22 CEST 2008

I have noticed that easy_install has a easy-install.pth file which seems
to be adding the directories specified in it before any other python
package directories, including the environment variable PYTHONPATH. This
causes a problem with orca which uses a bash script to start itself, and
specifies where its python packages should be found by setting the
PYTHONPATH variable. This wouldn't cause problems except when a user has
more than one version of orca installed (eg. a stable version from the
distribution installed in the standard python site-packages directory
and one (SVN trunk version) in a custom directory). I found that
easy_install had added the standard python site-packages directory
(/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages on my system) to easy-install.pth so
making it impossible to use my custom install of orca as the standard
location was first in sys.path.

Is what easy_install doing really a standard thing? If not then this
should be corrected to get things to behave as they should. If it is
standard then either can easy_install prevent the standard python
site-packages module from being added to easy-install.pth or can you
suggest a way that orca can overcome this problem?

Michael Whapples