[Distutils] Msgfmt in distutils?

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Wed Sep 24 03:44:31 CEST 2008

Hi,

Distutils has made my life easier as an python application author and packager
for some time but when it comes to generating and distributing message
catalogues for translations, things get unexpectedly tricky.

It would be nice to be able to do something like,

---------
from distutils.core import setup

setup(name="foo",
        version="1.0",
        description="A handy, translated application",
        po_files = [('share/locales', ['po/*.po'])]
        )
----------

and have distutils do the right thing with the .po files at build time (generate
.mo files from them) and at install time (install them into
PREFIX/share/locales/LC_MESSAGES/, or wherever the distribution is configured to
put them).

My big question is, are there plans to add msgfmt functionality into distutils?
Googling tells me there was some discussion about this back in 2003 but I can't
find any sign of progress since then.

Regards,

--
Andy Price