[Distutils] [pyconuk] "just use debian"

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Sep 24 08:27:51 CEST 2008

Kevin Teague wrote:
> Python Eggs == Ruby Gems, and they both work more or less equally well
> as a packaging format.

I don't agree. Sure, they are the same idea, but the implementation is
vastly different, and that's what matters IMHO, or at least is one big
problem.

If you look at the ruby gem page, you have one link for a specification;
I have not done it, and maybe I would realize I were wrong by trying it,
but I got the impression I could generate gems myself from the
specification. Can I do that with eggs ?

Also, gems and rake/rant are different projects (maybe by different
people ?). In practice, it is nice to have everything integrated (and
ruby gems certainly feel as integrated as python eggs), but having
different packages for different tasks force to have proper behavior,
not a behavior which works in some cases, and broke in others. And rant
is a proper build system, whereas distutils isn't.

There is also the problem that by making some things easy but
effectively "magic", when it breaks, you don't know how to fix. Those
two problems (everything intermixed and magic) are linked. If several
tasks were separated, there would have been a clear specification/API,
and less magic. Of course, basing setuptools on the top of distutils
make this task nearly impossible (but I understand it was the best if
not only choice given Philip requirements when he started setuptools).

You have people who ignore the problem eggs are trying to solve (the
"install debian and solve real problems" crowd), but I don't think the
majority of people who object to eggs in principle. They object to
implementation problems.

cheers,

David