[Distutils] Can we prevent setuptools from writing to stdout

Tarek Ziade tarek.ziade at ingeniweb.com
Wed Sep 24 15:33:25 CEST 2008

2008/9/24 Fadhley Salim <fadhley.salim at uk.calyon.com>

>  Is it possible to prevent setuptools from writing anything to stdout?
>
> For various inconvenient reasons our package must install silently - that
> means the installation process must not write to either stdout or stderr.
> Other than hacking distutils / setuptools to ensure that there's nothing
> which can write i've not yet been able to come up with a reliable means to
> control output.
>
> Thanks

At distutils level you can set the verbosity and reduce the output, by
setting it to 0

(distutils.log.set_verbosity)

If your package does not provocate warnings, and if the commands used are
all using this log
facility (iirc setuptools does it everywhereà, you should not have any
output.

That said, this log module should be dropped in favor of the logging module
in distutils

Cheers
Tarek

> This email does not create a legal relationship between any member of the
> Crédit Agricole group and the recipient or constitute investment advice.
> The content of this email should not be copied or disclosed (in whole or
> part) to any other person. It may contain information which is
> confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you
> are not the intended recipient, you should notify us and delete it from
> your system. Emails may be monitored, are not secure and may be amended,
> destroyed or contain viruses and in communicating with us such conditions
> are accepted. Any content which does not relate to business matters is not
> endorsed by us.
>
> Calyon is authorised by the Commission Bancaire in France and regulated by
> the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of business in the
> United Kingdom. Calyon is incorporated in France with limited liability
> and registered in England & Wales. Registration number: FC008194.
> Registered office: Broadwalk House, 5 Appold Street, London, EC2A 2DA.

Tarek Ziadé - Directeur Technique
INGENIWEB (TM) - SAS 50000 Euros - RC B 438 725 632
Bureaux de la Colline - 1 rue Royale - Bâtiment D - 9ème étage
92210 Saint Cloud - France
Phone : 01.78.15.24.00 / Fax : 01 46 02 44 04
http://www.ingeniweb.com - une société du groupe Alter Way