[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Wed Sep 24 22:54:36 CEST 2008

Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
>         Hi,
>
>         I am launching a fork of setuptools. The name is "Distribute".

What about "distributing"?
as with threading, processing, logging, ... string (mmh... no. Not string ;)

>         (not definitive) and will be community-driven

Ah! this point is much more important than the name, that sounds good.

>         This fork will remain 100% compatible with setuptools, and
>         follow closely setuptools evolutions.

The best thing would be to have this kind of tool eventually integrated into Python!

> I won't release the first version of Distribute friday since you have
> released 0.6c9, so the first release for Distribute will be in one

0.6c9 was urgently needed (thanks for the release...) because of svn 1.5
incompatibility, but there are a LOT of other improvements that are already
wanted, such as support for other (d)vcs, an easy_uninstall, etc...

I sincerely hope that things will speed-up with this fork.
I'm volunteering to help on this effort.

Christophe