[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 19:16:30 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:
>

>> --On 25. September 2008 12:31:40 -0400 "Phillip J. Eby" <
>> pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>>

>>  Personally, I would rather see not a "fork", but development of an
>>> entirely new disutils replacement, and then not worry at all about
>>> backward compatibility at the setup.py level.  Apart from the
>>> pkg_resources module, I would treat setuptools and distutils as legacy
>>> infrastructure, and explore better ways to build and manage distributions
>>> (including eggs).
>>>

>> We can not restart with something completely different or new. Such an
>> approach would be totally unacceptable due to the huge amount of existing
>> modules having switched to setuptools. Setuptools or an improved codefork
>> must be the tools for managing distibutions in Python.
>>

> I would be willing to start with something new if and only if it was
> adopted as part of Python.

Cool !

I think the best way to make sure it is adopted in Python is to include in
the thaught of this new thing all people involved in distribution tools
in the community.  They ain't so many so I am pretty sure it can happen. It
can't be rejected then.

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org