[Distutils] [Fwd: Re: Annoucing distribute project]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Sep 27 03:20:15 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Yeah, but *is* dropping backward compatibility an option here?

I'm not sure the concept of backward compatibility
makes sense here. The only kind of distutils replacement
I would be interested in would have a completely different
API, completely different structure and completely
different implementation. Anything less would fail to
fix the problems we want to fix.

Given that, what would it even *mean* for the new tool
to be backward compatible with distutils?

> The same might be happen to distutils 2 in a few years. You are going
> to have to plan making it more maintainable.

A modular structure with an easy-to-follow implementation
would certainly be part of the plan, I hope.

--
Greg