[Distutils] [Fwd: Re: Annoucing distribute project]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Sep 27 03:05:24 CEST 2008

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> the domain knowledge embedded in the distutils are of fairly
> limited scope and kind:
>
> * Extension building, compile/link options and defines
> * Wildly-differing installation path schemes across platforms
> * Platform distribution formats like bdist_rpm, bdist_wininst, and
> bdist_msi

Seems to me that if there were a well-defined API for
plugging in platform-dependent modules, it shouldn't be
too hard to find people willing to contribute modules
for the platforms they're familiar with.

It's not really that the knowledge is particularly
arcane, just that there's no single person who knows
it all. This makes it very unlikely that one perso
could come up with an entire viable distutils
replacement just by scratching their own itches.
We need a communal itch-scratching session.

--
Greg