[Distutils] [Fwd: Re: Annoucing distribute project]

Tarek Ziade tarek.ziade at ingeniweb.com
Sat Sep 27 15:44:04 CEST 2008

2008/9/27 David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

> By adding a new dummy command to distutils, which would hook to a brand
> new system (the one you are talking about), we could maybe enable a path
> forward ? Things like option handling, distribution: those things cannot
> be done in a backward compatible way, because it is broken by design.
> But a correct build system, with clean API, separated code and data:
> this can be done such as it would be usable from setup.py. Then, later,
> we could implement the installation/deployment part, and this part would
> not be backward compatible (and we could use something different than
> setup.py).

This could be possible as long as we work on the current metadata
definition.

What would they miss for your dummy command to build everything even if it
is
another new application under the hood ?

I mean, there's the code part, and there's the description part. Can an OS
vendor
for example is able to pick what he needs in a source distribution by
looking
at those metadata ?  (me don't know)

Imho, beyond the coding strategy, that is very important .

Tarek